Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Packing and Parting

It seems like the memories of leaving are somewhat indelible. Leaving my home in Hyderabad, I stayed up all night dancing with Miranda while she folded clothes until the car came and she and the remaining students stood outside crying and waving as the all-too-appropriate Ambassador spirited me away.

When I was leaving for Hyderabad I spent my last minutes frantically run around doing nothing useful while Ethan and Adam threw all of my junk into garbage bags and then helped me stuff them in the overfull van to the horror of Marin's mother. On the way home we preceded to get lost in PA and remedy it by eating an animated dinner at an anywhere-USA restaurant somewhere deep in anonymous America.

Leaving Ithaca for the last time, Smita and I shamefully (well, the shame is mine) ditched out on Patrick's valiant cleaning/recycling efforts and sweatally drove off along the Southern Tier. Gotta love that tier. We took goofy pictures in small towns and ingested enough iced coffee to fuel a mini-emotional breakdown on the veranda of a Cracker Barrel in Indiana.

This time I'm trying to take a more pragmatic approach, absorbing the community and the scenery deliberately, but without being overly dramatic. A good distraction was making post-modern (I really need to learn what that word means) collages out of old magazines that I will not, I repeat will NOT, idiotically mail to myself to be thrown out later. Hopefully other activities will continue to distract me from the act of leaving.

No comments: