Monday, June 11, 2007

Clay County

This weekend, my last as a Vermillion resident (tear, seriously), was jam-packed with Clay County exploration. Kicking it off with a night camping out at Amy's house, next to a creek, under the stars and with many tail-less animals running around, Nick and I made it our business to see and be seen in Volin, Irene, Wakonda and Lake Marindahl. Not to mention a quick dip in the Mighty Mo. After going through so many small towns where streets seem to run as they wish and an open store on Main St. on the weekend is a triumph, our return to Vermillion felt like a re-immersion into civilization. Moving back to a city right now feels pretty intimidating. Here is your virtual tour of Clay County:
These towns contain a few old gems, like this bank building that hearkens back to an ancient time. Well, maybe just a time when small towns had their own well-stocked grocery stores on Main St.
The mulberries are getting ripe.
Lake Marindahl seems to come from nowhere. In the middle of softly rolling grasslands is this gem of a lake. Quiet and serene. Near the lake we stumbled upon the Broom Tree Retreat Center. I got a quick sense of being deep in a fundamentalist heartland, something that I don't often feel. Upon examining their website, I think I was overreacting just a little bit, but I guess my conditioning runs deep.
South Dakota boasts an abundance of service and convivial organizations such as the Lions, the Eagles and the International Order of Odd Fellows. These clubs are mostly made up of a rapidly aging population and their membership is widely shrinking. I don't know much about the community in Irene, but I enjoyed this sign for their American Legion.
Irene is proud of their new sign. I wish I wasn't missing the rodeo. I hope this taste of rural SE So. Dak whets your appetite and has you clamoring for more. Nick and I hope to be hired soon by Google to bring their new StreetViews function to a new venue.

No comments: