Thursday, May 24, 2007

Experiment

I have been thinking of experimenting with eliminating Corn Syrup from my diet. I was thinking it would be difficult, but make sense since it would be a logical continuation of my rants against ethanol and corporate agriculture (if you've missed these, be thankful). I started to poke around the web to find others who have done it and instead found people who were engaged in much more challenging experiments such as eating organic for cheap and the now-ubiquitous No Impact Man.

I am not a huge fan of these sorts of experiments, since they are definitely gimmick-y, but it can't hurt to try to make small changes in my own life without starting to compost my own poop. Although I can't wait to start composting my food wastes once I live somewhere that feels semi-permanent. I've been making an effort to eat more organic, more local and be more mindful in general of what I'm buying, but I haven't been as deliberate about it as I'd sometimes like. So, after a year in South Dakota where the diabetes rate is something like one out of every six people and a trip to the dr. who strongly suggested eliminating all high fructose corn syrup from the diet, I am going to see what I can do. I'm hoping that I feel some sort of difference, but in reality, it may be a bust. I'll keep you posted.

In other news, last night I had a dream that reminded me of when I was taking my anti-malaria medication. I am headed to London this weekend to see my grandparents for an amazingly short period of time (in reality) and dreamt that my flight went through Mongolia. This made sense. Once in Mongolia I realized that I could just hop on a later flight and called up my friend Leigh to hang out with her for a few hours. We hung out in her apartment and had a nice time until I panicked about getting back on the flight and we had to run through a field of dirt and yaks as the sky blackened because a dust storm was approaching. I made it back to my gate and immediately felt bad because my Nana was probably wondering where I was since I was hours later then expected without a phone call or explanation. Then I realized that I'd left my pounds and oyster card in Vermillion and felt like a schmuck.

I guess I'm anxious about traveling. Or just really itching to visit Mongolia?

1 comment:

Norah said...

alex! did you know you can make your own worm composter that is small, portable, and indoors-friendly? I'm really into it right now and just made four to give away at a raffle I did for earth day. ethan helped me construct them - it's super easy and only costs about 5 bucks. cool!
for the record, I for one fully support self-experiments even if they're gimmick-y, as long as they are undertaken in earnest. it sounds like yours is. good luck w. the corn syrup (or, I should say, without).

- N