Thursday, March 22, 2007

spring is springing!

There has been a lot of whining lately, mostly originating from me, but it is nice out and I am happy and figured that this was a good time to blog about it. I hate the internet, and the word blog, yet am irrevocably attached.

Two weeks ago I went to Austin, TX with a group of South Dakotans for an Alternative Spring Break (woohoo!) trip. Besides the important service aspects and traditional group bonding moments, I have to say that Austin rekindled my love of coffee. Specifically the act of lazily drinking outside of a hip and cool cafe with people who are wearing funky clothes (and I don't mean H&M funky) and drinking out of Mason jars. The hippy element of Vermillion is much appreciated and definitely existing, but you don't get the same overarching sense that there is a creative mass of people out there discussing and thinking and creating. Maybe that is unfair, and I am NOT knocking Vermillion, after all, there are just 10,000 people here, but I have to say that it made me extra special super excited for my upcoming trip to Ithaca.

Austin and Ithaca are actually pretty similar- smallish (or small feeling) hippy towns, with amazing greenery and dramatic gorges (or gorge-like places). What Austin doesn't have gorges it makes up for in dinosaur footprints, real live ones that you can stand in while contemplating brontosauri strolling through the river bed. That is seriously neat. I also felt a sort of kinship between the Rhizome Collective, an organization that serves as a living space and a sustainable educational center. It was like a mix between Common Ground (the collective I stayed at in New Orleans) and the Eco-Village in Ithaca.

Anyway, I am looking forward to stroll down by the Vermillion river- a spot I just discovered and am more than a little excited about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wait, so you went to Austin this week, and you happened to miss the fact that SXSW was going on at the same time, movies, music, folks and fun?? bleargh.